TNN Reboot Complex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Poll

How Far Into the Universe Should We Go?

Classes as Galaxies? I_vote_lcap47%Classes as Galaxies? I_vote_rcap 47% [ 7 ]
Classes as Galaxies? I_vote_lcap53%Classes as Galaxies? I_vote_rcap 53% [ 8 ]

Total Votes : 15

Classes as Galaxies?

5 posters

Go down

Classes as Galaxies? Empty Classes as Galaxies?

Post by GiGi Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:52 pm

It has been suggested that we divide the classes into galaxies. Each galaxy would represent their own class, and have their own characteristics. Although I'm not completely sold on this idea, I'm not against it either. I am interested in your thoughts to see if this is how we want to partition the groups.
GiGi
GiGi
Valhalla Protocol
Valhalla Protocol

Back to top Go down

Classes as Galaxies? Empty Re: Classes as Galaxies?

Post by Rainboy Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:21 pm

I think that is very workable. But I can also see classes just being types of people, like space pirates and law enforcement. Both should be explored before a definite choice is made.
Rainboy
Rainboy
Valhalla Protocol
Valhalla Protocol

Back to top Go down

Post by Elric58 Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:45 pm

I think there are a lot of things that should be discussed and hashed out. Most of the details need to stay somewhat flexible until most of the ground work has been laid out.

Not sure I'm sold on the classes being split off into galaxies (or even solar systems or planets). I think having a system that enables and encourages interaction and cooperation between classes would be good, especially if we are looking to keep this somewhat educational.
Elric58
Elric58
Enterprising
Enterprising

Back to top Go down

Post by GiGi Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:24 pm

I definitely want to encourage interaction/cooperation as Elric has mentioned. That is part of the draw that makes TNN work so well, and that is something I don't want to lose.
GiGi
GiGi
Valhalla Protocol
Valhalla Protocol

Back to top Go down

Post by blackblade9 Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:31 pm

if you want that we may b able to make organizations like in tnn. only rather then the players make them and it b exlusivly for certain people we make it and its for anyone of that class. (just a thought)
blackblade9
blackblade9
Enterprising
Enterprising

Back to top Go down

Post by Elric58 Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:48 pm

Kind of what a guild would offer. Anyone of a particular class is welcome. I would want there to be something in the game play that would encourage the different classes to work together. Bonuses of some sort for a cooperative effort on a mission or in a game or something like that.
Elric58
Elric58
Enterprising
Enterprising

Back to top Go down

Post by blackblade9 Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:02 pm

sounds good maybe make side classes (like order and chaos or whatever we name them)
blackblade9
blackblade9
Enterprising
Enterprising

Back to top Go down

Post by GiGi Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:32 pm

I am all for having the classes/ guilds (whatever) work together. Especially seeing as this is being built as an educational platform, cooperation could be a positive factor. I like the idea of offering a bonus for cooperation but not making it a requirement.
GiGi
GiGi
Valhalla Protocol
Valhalla Protocol

Back to top Go down

Post by Illeria Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:24 am

I agree with GiGi, we shouldn't make it a requirement to interact with others, most games flourish BECAUSE they don't have those sort of strictures on their players.

I'm all for the interactive environment of players but incentives for cooperation seems a bit seedy and manipulative. Trying to make loner players be more social players.

I think we should have optional guilds with requirements to get in, just like every other guild type platform, but also have it so the game can be just as enjoyable without the joining of said guild.
Illeria
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Elric58 Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:50 am

Offering bonuses and incentives for people to cooperate is neither seedy nor manipulative. Playing 'solo' would not be a handicap, but 'playing with others' would provide benefits, as it would in the real world. People can certainly make it on their own, but it is most often beneficial to have the help and cooperation of others when embarking on any endeavor.

We wouldn't be "Tyring to make loner players be more social players". We would be providing them the opportunity to meet new people and work with others, should they choose to do so. I know all about the type of player you are talking about, Illeria, because I tend to be exactly that in the games I play online. But as with those games (and I suspect most of the MMO games out there), you can only get so far on your own.
Elric58
Elric58
Enterprising
Enterprising

Back to top Go down

Post by Illeria Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:34 am

Maybe using those loaded words was a mistake, here's how I view it, giving an incentive to a player for making a friend is the equivalence of giving a treat to your dog when it learns to shake hands.

Not manipulative in it's intent, definitely not filled with any type of malice, but a manipulation of what we would otherwise do without said incentive or what the dog wold normally do without said treat. It is a conditioning of the actions we would normally act out.

I am that type of player, Elric, in most of the games that I play online. WoW especially I tend to err on the side of solo, but in games that require solidarity and groups to play like Medal of Honor or any other co-op platform I tend to play less if at all.
Illeria
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Elric58 Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:44 am

I couldn't disagree more with your assessment and your comparison to training a dog. Providing a bonus to a player to cooperate with another player (or group of players), not make friends with them (big difference), is simply giving them the option to do so. They can choose to take that option, as you can in WoW, or not take that option. Players are not handicapped because they don't play cooperatively.

Example (real life): If I have a job and I simply do my job, day in and day out, interacting with others only when necessary to get my job done, I will collect my paycheck, get my standard annual raise and basically just do my thing. That's perfectly fine and as long as you are doing what you need to be doing, nobody minds at all and everyone is content.

Now, in this company opportunities are presented / made available to participate in special group projects that would earn the participants bonuses, special recognition, and the possibility of advancement at a slightly faster pace than 'normal' (which would mean pay raises at a slightly faster pace, too). I don't see that as being manipulation. I see that as an opportunity which every employee can choose to take advantage of or not. If they do, great! If they don't, great! The projects need to be done, regardless of who chooses to do them, and they can only be done with a group effort, not by a single person. They are not created to manipulate people into working with others.

If this game is going to be educational at its core, I can't think of a much better model than the real world. And in the real world, you have choices. One of those choices is to 'play' on your own or 'play' with others. In many (or most) cases, working with a group or team garners more rewards, completes tasks (especially complex tasks) quicker and more efficiently, and grows things like businesses quicker and bigger than doing it alone.

This is not 100% true and this can be built into the game somehow, kind of like how in NI even experienced players in their chosen class can have their tools fail. You may get a bonus for a cooperative effort, but you may also fail in your combined endeavor and either get nothing or lose something.

I guess what I am trying to say in a very long-winded way is that I am not suggesting we try to get people to cooperate, but that we give them a choice, which is all I would ever ask for myself. It just so happens that the bigger, more 'complex' opportunities will yield bigger rewards when they are completed and will require, as they would in the real world, a group effort to complete.

I feel like I have beat this horse to death, but can't seem to put down the whip! Sorry for rambling on. Not slamming you, just trying to maybe illustrate my thoughts a little more clearly and feeling like I have failed miserably.
Elric58
Elric58
Enterprising
Enterprising

Back to top Go down

Post by GiGi Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:08 am

Since we've clearly moved on from this idea and dumped it we are locking this thread.
GiGi
GiGi
Valhalla Protocol
Valhalla Protocol

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down