TNN Reboot Complex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Poll

How Far Into the Universe Should We Go?

Let's rework them seer tools. I_vote_lcap47%Let's rework them seer tools. I_vote_rcap 47% [ 7 ]
Let's rework them seer tools. I_vote_lcap53%Let's rework them seer tools. I_vote_rcap 53% [ 8 ]

Total Votes : 15

Let's rework them seer tools.

5 posters

Go down

Let's rework them seer tools. Empty Let's rework them seer tools.

Post by Cerdric Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:46 am

Seers suck. No two ways about it, sure they're "chaotic" (ooh, randomness) ... but you can just ignore them. They aren't powerful enough and at times just not fun to play. I think that if seers are created properly, they can spark wars, rivalries, create a sense of urgency, surprise, and actually be fun t play.

What I suggest is a a way for the portals to integrate and/or derail a pathie mission. Seers hate those pathies. So orderly... and... guh. What I propose is that when a portal is placed on mission and taken by enough people, the light post or sign or whatever will be sucked into or pointed towards that portal and make the mission forcibly proceed through, essentially immortalizing the portal. This would give the seer limited control over the mission, capable of placing an additional 5 or so portal paths that the mission has to follow. In order to keep these portals from utterly ruining a mission, there would be a down vote system on hijacked pages that, when voted down enough would simply destroy the portals and return the mission to normal. After these portals, the mission would continue the way it was. The fact that a large number of people have to go through a portal means that seers would need to organize large raids in order to hijack a target. It would be good if a pathie was notified of a portal being placed on their mission, so that they could get some bedouin friends to go through and destroy them, creating a battle for the seer group to get the mission hijacked before the portal is destroyed.

As well, another expensive tool for seers only of a high level would be forced "blackhole" portals that make the player go through no matter what. Also, with these, in order to stop things like trolling seers sending people through shock sites or things of a graphic nature they might have to be "approved" seers who are know to not do retarded things like that.
Cerdric
Cerdric
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Back to top Go down

Let's rework them seer tools. Empty Re: Let's rework them seer tools.

Post by SgtWidget Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:00 am

To pull from the conversation had about this on IRC:

so, sgt wants derails with the mission waiting for them, cerd wants seer lightposts to put in the mission, i want forced portals for missions with a tool to remove them to force maintinence

I'm in favor of using the blackhole portal notion on mission pages instead, or perhaps finding a way to attach them to a lightpost. (I like that, now that I think about it. I want the person taking the mission with Google.com in it to get dragged off, not the person who wants to look up brands of dog food.)

Right now, TNN lets you take missions and such and go root around on subpages and take portals and the little mission box sits up there in the corner, waiting for you. So force someone to detour or derail or whatever and then, once they've been whisked away to points unknown, have the mission box with its "next" button waiting for them.

Also, there needs to be a way to cut users off from deploying blackholes - this being a behind-the-scenes modpower - because of the potential for abuse and them going to sites of spam and evil java and virusiness. Rickrolls are fine (if overdone) but forcing people to yourcomputerletusinfectit.com is not.
SgtWidget
SgtWidget
Quotidian
Quotidian

Back to top Go down

Post by GiGi Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:50 pm

I agree with you, Cerd. It would be interesting to make our version of Seers/Pathies have a dark side. I also see that in both NI and TNN there is a lack of attraction for many in both taking and creating missions. The lure just isn't there. In TNN there's the bonus of waaaaay too much dp, and for NI... well... to my knowledge there's nothing as of yet.

What if we adapted the "branching" idea from NI-- if on the missions if you chose the wrong path you ended up lost down a black hole or trapped in a vortex-- so the pathie would now be able to drain your charges/dp (whatever we call it), pinch your tools, etc. while you are lost in space. Of course, to set up this kind of "trap" it would cost more from our market and only pathies of a certain level and above would be able to do this.

My biggest quandary with messing with missions is that ones marked "educational" need to be left alone. Since the "missions" are what we are billing to schools as a homework alternative and a teaching aid, we'll need a way to be able to differentiate between missions created for school and ones created for fun. I'm not sure what kind of coding complications this presents; since both would be "missions", but I think it's worth looking into. Any ideas on coding here would be appreciated...

The forced vortex idea is an interesting one. It would be a riot on youtube, but would cause a riot if someone placed one in our market. I agree with Widget that there needs to be a way to cut off these black holes. I am already cringing at the annoyance these will cause (though I'm sure Cerd will have a lot of fun), and I am also not sure how to stop these from being placed on pages that are used for school.

If we run with this black hole idea it should definitely only be a tool for top level seers (a goal to work towards) and should be costly. Heaven forbid some little nublet drop them all over the place to just to show us his brute profile. Perhaps they only work 5 times and have a higher failure rate, or something. But in all, the idea of making the portal function something that can be totally vile just as easily as a happy-go-lucky-follow-my-glitter-trail kind of tool really appeals to me.

@Cerd-- if you come up with an idea of how adapt the code so that black holes can't be used on school sites, let us know-- I'm wide open...
GiGi
GiGi
Valhalla Protocol
Valhalla Protocol

Back to top Go down

Post by blackblade9 Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:15 pm

I think so long as the /bedouins/ (whatever we name them) have sgt's idea for them 2 take down portals then i think it will work just fine
blackblade9
blackblade9
Enterprising
Enterprising

Back to top Go down

Post by Cerdric Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:38 pm

@GiGi The only thing I can think of is have black holes not work on sites ending in .edu or .gov, and making it so that they cannot be placed on sites that have an edumacational mission running through them, or we could have another mode in the toolbar (fun mode!) that lets people in this mode see and place portals on site like the ones i just mentioned, negating the need to protect educational sites. Also, i liek them being very costly, and have a chance to not deploy properly, possibly just deploying as regular portals, and then once they are there have a chance to NOT pull people through (You just escaped the pull of a black hole! +10dp) (and some other class could have a higher resistance to the black holes, less of chance of being pulled in. possibly even just seers themselves.)
Cerdric
Cerdric
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Back to top Go down

Post by GiGi Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:00 pm

oooh-- I likey the "fun mode" idea. That sounds much easier to code, and lets us be as evil with our black holes as we want to be!

And the possibly of a misfire pulling the placer through is huuuularious. In fact, I like that idea for any of the higher level evil tools.

*rubs hands together while thinking*
GiGi
GiGi
Valhalla Protocol
Valhalla Protocol

Back to top Go down

Post by nginferno Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:08 am

speaking of blackholes, how about some sort of space grenade that forcibly implodes a blackhole and sealing them?
nginferno
nginferno
Adept of Pyromancy
Adept of Pyromancy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cerdric Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:40 am

nginferno wrote:speaking of blackholes, how about some sort of space grenade that forcibly implodes a blackhole and sealing them?
NG, sgtwidget suggested something along those lines for the bedouins, the ability to forcibly destroy a portal/blackhole for high level bedouins.
Cerdric
Cerdric
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Back to top Go down

Post by SgtWidget Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:33 am

I did indeed. Available for your consideration and reading pleasure here: https://tnnrebootcomplex.forumotion.com/armor-f24/armor-getting-destructive-up-in-here-t53.htm
SgtWidget
SgtWidget
Quotidian
Quotidian

Back to top Go down

Post by GiGi Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:07 pm

This thread has been previewed and moved to FTL.
GiGi
GiGi
Valhalla Protocol
Valhalla Protocol

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down